NU logo - NU Home page

Search | Contact Us | About NU | Business to Business | Economic Development | Energy Choices
Environment & Safety | Media Center | Careers | Investors | Sustainability

Energy Choices in the New England Region and Beyond


Energy Choices FAQ
Links to NU's Subsidiaries
Electric Power & Transmission
Power Generation
Restructuring
Wholesale Marketing





PSNH PSNH Fossil Stations
Public Service Company of New Hampshire (PSNH) operates three fossil-steam generating stations with a combined net capacity of 985 megawatts, as well as eight internal combustion units, including five combustion turbines. The Merrimack Station on the Merrimack River at Bow is PSNH's prime base-load plant with a net generating capacity of 433.5 megawatts from its two coal-fired units. Unit 1 went into commercial operation in 1960 and has a net winter capacity of 113.5 megawatts. Unit 2 went into commercial operation in 1968 and has a net capacity of 320 megawatts. Both units utilize Westinghouse turbines/generators and Babcock & Wilcox boilers. In addition, Merrimack operates two combustion turbines with maximum outputs of 22.1 megawatts each in winter and 17 megawatts each in summer. The FT4A-9LF units were manufactured by the Pratt and Whitney division of United Technologies and use grade A jet fuel. The first unit, with an Electric Machine generator, was installed in 1968, and the second unit, with a Westinghouse generator, was installed in 1969.

The largest single unit on the PSNH system is the Newington Station on the Piscataqua River at Newington, with a net capacity of 406 megawatts. The station, which was designed as a peaking unit for quick starting and load-change capability, went into commercial operation as an oil-fired unit in 1974 and was converted in 1992 so it also could burn natural gas. Newington utilizes a main turbine and generator supplied by Westinghouse.

The Schiller Station is on the Piscataqua River at Portsmouth completed in 1949, (units 1,2,3) it was named in honor of former PSNH Board Chairman and President Avery Schiller. The station at various times has included six units, but the coal-fired Units 1 and 2 were retired in 1968, and the oil-fired Unit 3 was retired in 1991. Units 4, 5, and 6, with a current combined capacity of 145.1 megawatts, went into commercial operation in 1952, 1955, and 1957 respectively, and are capable of burning coal or fuel oil. Their individual net capacities range from 47.5 to 49.6 megawatts. They utilize Westinghouse turbines/generators and Foster-Wheeler boilers. In addition, Schiller operates one combustion turbine with outputs of 18 megawatts in winter and 17 megawatts in summer. The FT4A unit was manufactured by Pratt and Whitney Division of United technologies Corporation and uses either Grade A jet fuel or natural gas. The unit has an Electric Machine generator and went into service in 1970.

PSNH also operates two other high-demand units not located at a fossil station. They have a combined net capacity of 40.85 megawatts.

The Lost Nation Combustion Turbine Station was installed in 1969 in Groveton. The 5,100-RPM oil-fired turbine/generator was manufactured by General Electric and has a maximum capability of 18.3 megawatts.

The White Lake Combustion Turbine Station was installed in 1968 in Tamworth. The 3,600-RPM Grade A jet fuel-fired turbine/generator was manufactured by the Pratt and Whitney Division of United Technologies and has a maximum capability of 22.15 megawatts.

Both the Lost Nation and White Lake units can be operated remotely from the Electric System Control Center in Manchester NH or locally.

Back to Top

 


Search | Contact Us | About NU | Business to Business | Economic Development | Energy Choices
Environment & Safety | Media Center | Careers | Investors | Sustainability
Home | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement